Daniel and William, as 2021 QLD Young Australian of the Year, were asked to be interviewed by ABC Radio National to be part of their Sunday Extra Program with Julian Morrow. The segment is called, “The Year That Made Me!”.
The boys were asked to nominate a year that stood out on their quest to save the critically endangered orangutan and to also nominate a song that resonated with them throughout their journey.
The year they chose was 2012 as that year really kicked off world wide awareness of their quest to save the critically endangered orangutan of Borneo and Sumatra. After their first book, Tears In The Jungle, was published at the end of 2011 and then being featured in an episode of the ABC Australian Story in early 2012 their quest really took off.
So many other events happened in that year including;
- President Barack Obama recognised their conservation efforts
- NSW Country Tour – The boys took their message out to Country NSW Schools
- INXS wrote a song about their book “Tears In The Rain” – They surprised the boys by inviting them to the concert then announcing it halfway through (You can read about it in this blog post) – Andrew Farris just released it under his own name only a couple of months ago.
- Won the 2012 National Pride of Australia and peoples choice award
- Conservation efforts recognised by IFAW (Where they first met Bob Irwin who has become a good friend of the family)
- Heaps of School talks and talks at Taronga Zoo and even kindergartens !
The song they chose is “I Believe” by Fantasia Barrino, as both Daniel and William believe that you can overcome any obstacle and believe in yourself to achieve your dreams. If you would like to listen to the Podcast with Julian Morrow please CLICK HERE.